Subject: Buy M3/35mm f3.5?
From: Howard Sanner <hsan@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:20:47 -0400 (EDT)

	I've been following the Which Leica? thread with great interest,
since I too have recently gotten acute Leica-itis. I wanted a Leica when I
was in high school and got my Nikon, but couldn't afford it.

	Last Saturday, after a lot of reading, I went shopping and looked
at an M3 with 35mm f3.5 lens with 35mm finder. It looked like new and
operated smoothly.  I'm seriously considering buying it. My rationale is
that the M3 has built-in finders for the other lenses I'd want to use,
i.e., the 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm, and, buying this one, I'd already have
the fourth lens I'd want (the 35mm), with its finder. Though I want to use
it, I also figure it should hold its value if I take good care of it. I
specifically do not want a camera that requires batteries for any
function, even if it's only light metering.

	Does anyone see the error in my logic? Should I not plan to use a
Leica if I want to use 35mm, 50mm, 90mm, and 135mm lenses? These are the
lenses I have used with my Nikon F SLR for years.

	Many thanks for the advice.

					Howard Sanner
					hsan@loc.gov