Subject: Re: Wisdom from the Usenet!
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 01:10:46 -0700

Donal Philby wrote:

>-All this complaining about m-system RF going off is a little
> silly   I`ve had more problem SLRs going off than Leica RF

I agree. I've had more focusing surprises with a misaligned Nikon F3.
SLR focusing can get out of whack. So can lenses. I recently learned on
the slidetable that one of my M lenses was out of adjustment. I got it
back from an overhaul just this week and it seems better than ever
now.

In fact, it seems to me that it may be easier to detect focusing
adjustment problems in the M than with an SLR, assuming the lens is fine.
I often use a local repairman who used to repair and re-engineer every
camera in the AP bureau here going back to Speed Graphic days, until age
and electronics drove him into retirement. And as he explains it to me,
the M rangefinder is adjusted simply by focusing on an object at infinity
and then using the hidden screws to make the double images line up. So
you should be able to check that your rangefinder is working by making
sure everything looks right on a subject at infinity every now and then.
If it doesn't, you can bet it won't be right at closer distances. (except
of course for vertical misallignment, which is annoying but without
effect.)

Everyone has their own way of doing things, of course. To me, the M's
ease and precision of focusing (at least with 50mm and shorter lenses) is
a big part of what makes the camera such a pleasure to use.

Bill