Subject: Re: Ralph Gibson--Leica photographer and fine art photography
From: "Steven L. Alexander" <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:50:17 -0400

	It would be hard to define fine art photography solely by limiting your =
view to representational images of landscapes.  As with painting one =
would not limit their knowledge to only the luminary landscape painters =
of the nineteenth century and exclude, even if you understand or enjoy =
Jackson Pollack, as a definition of fine art in painting.

	The fine art world of photography is as broad as is the field of =
painting including many approaches and would include Mary Ellen Mark, =
Diane Arbus, Bruce Davidson as well as Man Ray, Philip Jones Griffiths, =
Michiko Kon and many others.

	I don't know what is fine art.  I know that publications such as =
Aperture, DoubleTake and others show and discuss the  photographic work =
being done today and of the past.  After all I do not think society can =
explain the meaning of fine art when it tries to describe other art form =
using Grandma Moses and Andy Warhol as sole examples.

	Art is not easily described and codified but it is something worth =
exploring and discussing.  I know this is not on topic,i.e., Leica's, =
however some fine art photographers do use the magic box we all seem to =
enjoy. I hope we do not abandon this thread.

Steven