Subject: Re: Wisdom from the Usenet!
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 13:54:46 -0700

>On 29 Sep 97,  ted grant wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> Be my guest if you wish to pass on my remarks, as I have no idea how
>> to get at him or the newsgroup in question or I would take him to task
>> myself for his nonsense.  Obviously a person mentally challenged! :)
>
>Your lack of knowledge/ability to "get at him" is a distinct advantage
>in maintaining your sanity.
>--

In defense of Mr. Fisher, who claimed that the Ms are not professional
tools, I should report that he does own an M and in the past has owned up
to 5 at once. I've been in private e-mail with him and his dissatisfaction
with the rangefinder durability is based on personal experience. Whether or
not his generalization about the Ms suitability for serious use is
warranted or not is a point of contention in our discussion. I think
contacting him directly about his public statements (no matter where they
are posted) is appropriate, but it is perhaps unfair to continue to
criticize him here without hearing him out.

Some people, I guess, have bad experiences with the M. I've had a good
experience so far and am of the semi-informed opinion that the M6
rangefinder is more likely to stay in place than those in older versions
since it has fewer screws that can come loose. And the Leica rep who
admitted misalignment problems was, I believe, talking about vertical
misalignment that does not affect focussing accuracy. My impression was
that it took some hard knocks (such as can occur when the camera is shipped
great distances by various carriers) to cause this. I'm not going to bang
my M on something to find out, but as with any intricate device I wouldn't
expect it to survive abuse unscathed in every instance.

- -Charlie