Subject: Re: Noctilux
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 22:19:05 -0400

Carl wrote:

<<<But I grow older every day and not always wiser.>>>>

Damn I'm glad I'm not alone out here! :)

Hi Carl,

<<<<<When you shoot available darkness are you using black & white? If or
when using color emulsions do you use chromes or  negs and, if so, what
do you do for correct color balance (or something close)? Do you use
color meter and CC filters?>>>>>>

I shoot all three films depending on the assignment, and I just go by one
good eye to determine whether to use daylight or tungsten transp and or
colour neg if it is a major mish mash of lights.

B&W is usually T-Max 400 rated at 800, on occasion 3200 T-max. although I
have been shooting a project with the new Kodak T400CN B&W that is
processed in C41. So far I like the prints and quality I'm getting. if
there is a "minor nit picking observation" the film is "too perfect
looking", as the prints look like they were shot on T-max 100! :)

As far as the colour, I use 100SW or S depending if I want it warmer or
just ordinary and tungsten if the light is all tungsten.

Colour neg is quite often Kodak Ektapress 1600 and sometimes pushed one
stop.  I realize some folks get aghast at me saying I'm shooting commercial
brochures with that high a speed film, but I just explain it's only for a
brochure and not 30' X 40' billboards.  And even if it were I probably
would shoot it any way, as it is more important to me and what is expected
in my picture taking, to capture the mood of what I'm paid to do and not
produce something that looks like it was done in a studio with all the
glitzy lights.

Besides I have a tough enough time carrying myself and camera bag around
with out piles of lights and stands. :)

I only use one filter generally and that is a polarizer when I'm shooting
"tourism/travel" type assignments, other than that I don't use any! Well
maybe the odd softar of some kind if I'm shooting a woman or some pretty
flowers.

If the lighting looks like it is going to be heavy duty difficult it's
easier to shoot colour neg and then have colour corrected prints made or
transparencies if required.  Hell of a lot easier than screwing around
doing all kinds of lighting tests.

My theory has always been if you capture the mood and feel of what art
directors think they want or the owner of some major resort, then that's
what you want to do. And if that means shooting 1600 Ektapress to give the
client that nice warm wooly feeling that you have captured "that's just how
I feel my place looks! Gee are you ever a good photographer!"

Then you charge more and smile when you give them the bill trying not to
feel guilty! :)  Just like getting candy off a kid! :) And it's so simple,
no fuss no muss picture taking for the fun of it. :)

ted