Subject: Noctilux
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 12:05:58 -0400

Alberto wrote:

<<<<<I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with the Noctilux 1.0
> 50mm. and how was it?  Also I'd like to know how it compares with the
> Summilux 1.4 50 mm.?>>>>>>

Alberto,

I'm a working photojournalist who has owned and used the Noctilux f.1 since
it's introduction.

The lens was designed and produced at the Leica works in Canada and it's
one of those remarkable Leica lenses that those who use them in they're
work or hobby rarely get rid of them once they learn how to use it.

I am not one who bothers with the time of testing one Leica lens to another
as I purchase for the speed of the aperture and how it will affect my work
ability.

There isn't any point to spending the considerable amount of money for the
Noctilux unless you intend on using it at it's maximum aperture of f.1.
You'll find magic in your pictures by using almost non-existant light and
your photographs will take on a whole new look.

I and many others refer to it as our "available darkness" lens simply
because it allows you to shoot where others fear to tread without great
gobs of flashing light.

At f.1 you'll capture the mood of scenes like you have not likely shot
before and if I sound enthusiastic about it, I am.  It has allowed me to
capture moments of people at work and play in quiet anonimity.

At f.1 it opens up a whole new world for you to shoot by "available
darkness/light". :).

And that's my humble opinion and there isn't any comparison!  If you want
to go fast, go Noctilux f.1.

ted
Victoria, Canada