Subject: Re: Moss on DR Summicron
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 97 14:34:24 -0400

>MJS NOTE:  It is my understanding that the eyes for each version of the DR
>  lens are not interchangeable.  I believe the early eyes all had the polygon
>  surrounding the Leitz name, while later eyes are simply engraved with the
>  Leitz name without a surround.

Marc,

I have an early lens (1579997), but I have eyes with only text/no
polygon, and they work.

Prehaps the early eyes will not work on later lenses? Since the eyes were
not necessarily purchased with the lens, they should have changed the
code number if the eyes would not work with any version.

Why is there an engraved red line on the front of the eyes, between the
"handles"?

The only serial number breakdown that I can find for the DR lens is from
the first edition of van Hasbroeck's _Illustrated History_; he gives
2233899 as the point at which the short end of the distance scale changed
from 19 to 20 inches. I had thought that this might be when the lens also
underwent other changes, but it could have been only a minor mount change.

However, Dan Cardish responded to to my question earlier about the DR
lens; he has a number about 45,000 higher than 2233899, but claims that
his still focuses to 19 inches.

BTW, only a few people sent me information about their lenses; only one
person had a late lens, and that worked on an M6 after a little initial
tightness. Nobody else who responded had any problems with the
combination.

- - Paul