Subject: Moss on DR Summicron
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 02:29:57 -0400 (EDT)

<< To: cameras@jetlink.t
 Subject: Re: Moss on Moss

 Stephen - here it is

 Cheers

 Marvin

 << Subj:	Roy Moss on the DR: THE ANSWERS!
  Date:	97-08-07 05:46:05 EDT
  From:	msmall@roanoke.infi.net (Marc James Small)
  Sender:	owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
  Reply-to:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
  To:	leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

  Roy Moss, "The Eyes Have It!"  VIEWFINDER 28:1 (First Quarter, 1995), p.
38.

  Roy says there are two runs of the DR lens but does not give a splitting
  point either by date or serial number.

  11318/SOOIC-MN	Early.  single focusing scale (either feet or meters) with
  	reproduction ratios.  Marked '5cm', the last Leica production 			lens, to
  my knowledge, to bear a centimeter marking for the focal 			length.
  11318/SOMNI		Later.  dual focusing scale (both feet and meters) but no
  reproduction ratios.  Marked '50mm'.
  14002/SDP))		the eyes for the above lenses

  Roy goes on to say, "[O]n most M6 cameras, when used in the normal focusing
  range at or near infinity, the rear of the len's (sic) focusing helicoid
  _may_ be obstructed by the casing of the photo cell requiring that the M6's
  photo cell casing be modified."

  MJS NOTE:  It is my understanding that the eyes for each version of the DR
  lens are not interchangeable.  I believe the early eyes all had the polygon
  surrounding the Leitz name, while later eyes are simply engraved with the
  Leitz name without a surround.

  I do not know the year or serial number of the break.  Mine is an early
  one:  1586763 dating from 1958.

  Marc

  Marc James Small
  Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!