Subject: Re: What's Your Hit Rate?
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:26:07 -0500

Most photographers are very happy to get one good shot per roll of film.
Heck I am happy to get one GREAT shot every month or two, and I am
shooting 20-50 rolls of film a month on assignment for various clients.

There are so many things that make a photo THE photo that you need to
shoot a lot of film, esp if it is of non controlled subjects.  I have
seen THE shot be separated from an ok shot by the time difference of a 6
fps motor drive.  Just because an expression was fleeting, there for a
heartbeat then gone.  Any good photographer has more bad/mediocore photos
than he does good ones.  This is why so many shooters don't want anyone
to see their "outtakes"! ;)

Film is the cheapest part of any photo shoot.  So when on assignment for
someone shoot plenty with different angels and light to be sure you have
the shot the client wants.  This is also true if shooting for personal
pleasure.  Just think about what your M6/R8 with glass cost and that
$7.00 roll of velvia just got a lot cheaper!  Also if on a vaccation
think of the cost of travel and how dissapointed you will be if you come
back without the images you want.  Go ahead shoot the film.  As someone
stated earlier life is short enjoy it and don't sweat the little things.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto