Subject: Re: Discards
From: hmphoto <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:03:00 -0500

>It always seems to be the best negative that cops
>the scratch at the lab. Its a paranoid feeling, but one I've been lured
>into on many occasions.

Alastair,

I do not find this such a paranoid observation at all.

I just spent the weekend in North Carolina shooting the Carilona Panthers
1st home preseason NFL football game for a magazine we are doing on the
team.  This is the only game we are able to shoot for the first edition
and we are right aginst deadline.  The shot for the cover and main
feature both have scratches on the negs.  Film processed at the best
"PRO" lab in town, but alas scratches none the less.

When you are shooting action as fast as NFL football you usually have one
"good" frame in a serries where all elements come together.  We are
having to pay the fee to have the images "photoshopped" up so that they
meet our quality demands.

Such is life..

On another note I made the following observations at the game:
1 While there were more Canon shooters than their used to be the majority
were still shooting Nikon, and most of those were using the older EDIF
non autofocus lenses, I guess in Pro Football autofocus is not catching
on as fast as in other areas, or maybe few professional photographers
were there ;)

2 In comparing my old Canon F1 to my newer EOS 1, both with 2.8 lenses on
them the EOS was as dark as a moonless midnight compared to the F1, I
kept looking to see if the lens had something stuck on the front of it
obstructing the optics.

3 I got more sharp images using my old manual focus lens than my fancy
EOS lens, and I was shooting a 400 2.8 at 2.8 on the F1 and a 80-200 at
f4.0 on the EOS!

If the R8 is as bright as it is reported to be this is a big incentive to
get that thing.  I personally was REALLY disapointed in how dark my EOS 1
was.  This was the first time I had shot at poor light situations with
the EOS and FD gear at the same time in the 4 years I have had the EOS
gear,  I wish I had not done so as I now don't care much for the dimness
of the viewfinder.  Here all this time I had thought my eyes were getting
weaker and it was just the dark lack of contrast in my EOS finder!

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto