Subject: Re: What's Your Hit Rate?
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 13 Aug 97 09:55:55 EDT

Richard wrote:

<<< My "hit" rate varies. The more "awake" I am, the higher the number of good
shots.  Technically they are all good exposures but only a few warrant printing
and exhibition.

I wonder if other photographers find the same thing.>>>>>>>

g'day Richard,

It has been my experience and I understand of many others, that on any number of
rolls and frames exposed, that on average 10% is an acceptable level of "good
ones". That is these are the keepers and within that 10% one always hopes to
find a diamond or two or "one"!:)

This doesn't mean the other 90% are no good and throw aways, it means you have
edited tightly and picked the best for exposure, composition, and the many other
minute details to make the "keepers" that smidgin better.

So if you are getting a "<< Sometimes I get lucky and have four or five
outstanding shots in a single roll.>>>>  You are working on the acceptable level
of any amateur or pro.

Lets put it this way, "there isn't a photographer who shoots 36 master pieces on
a single roll of 36 exposures!"  And if there is anyone out there who remotely
thinks they do, please send along your address and the guys in the white coats
with straight jacket will be along shortly!:)

So Richard sleep easy you're right in there with the rest of us! :)

ted