Subject: Re: What's Your Hit Rate?
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:34:11 -0600

At 08:22 AM 13/08/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Alastair Firkin wrote:
>
><snip>when I see a famous photographers proof sheet and note the number of
>"ordinary" shots from which the one was chosen, it makes my hit rate seem
>more satifying.
><snip>
>
>Interesting observation since I have not seen any famous photographers
>proof sheets.  In my own case, when I go out shooting and use up about 3-5
>rolls of 36 exposure film, I would be very happy to have at least one
>really good or memorable frame per roll.  Sometimes I get lucky and have
>four or five outstanding shots in a single roll.  My "hit" rate varies.
>The more "awake" I am, the higher the number of good shots.  Technically
>they are all good exposures but only a few warrant printing and exhibition.
>
>I wonder if other photographers find the same thing.

Once I had 34 really good keepers on a roll of 36.  I kept the film in the
body for a year until each exposure was made.  I only exposed a frame after
a great deal of careful consideration.  The 2 "lost" frames on the roll
were because of bracketing one difficult exposure.  I have never been able
to repeat this though, and don't claim to be anything other than an average
photographer.
   Normally if I get 3 keepers per roll I am happy with the results.

- -GH