Subject: Re: "used" Old vs. brand new M lenses
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:19:46 -0400 (EDT)

Hi -

A few months back, I went through the same decisionmaking process re: 90mm
lenses.  Years ago, I owned and loved my 90/2.8 Elmarit.  This is a
lightweight but not telephoto design lens - and beautiful in performance.
In my recent quest, I had 2 lenses of the Tele-Elmarit (the fat and the
skinny) in brand-new shape sent to me on approval.  I spent a week playing
around.

I ended up buying the "Fat" Tele-Elmarit 90 because any optical differences
from the "Skinny" one were inperceptable to me.  The Fat version is far more
robust...yes this does mean a little heavier, but I also suspect it's more
solidly built.  The rubber lens shade of the Skinny version seemed a bit
flimsy and I wonder just how long it will really last before ozone and use
get to it.  You can use any of the other shades with it, too, but they do
look a little funny.

The performance of the Fat lens is superb at all stops (IMHO).  It is also
somewhat shorter than the latest 90/2.8 and certainly as well built.
Further, it is my understanding that the optical heads of current production
lenses are literally glued into the mounts rather than being screwed into them.

In short.  I demand near optical perfection of my Leica equipment.  I also
want as much mechanical quality (given my personal tastes) as I can get.  I
have used this algorithm in making all of my lens choices.

As far as bodies go, I have different standards.  While I do own an M6, I
think my M5 is a far better built camera and its operation is much more
sensible in use than the M6.  Metaphorically, the metering in the M5 is
essentially aperture priority as compared to shutter priority in the M6.
One adjusts the shutter speed to the situation rather than the f/stop - read
DOF - Since DOF is critical to my imagemaking - and shutter speed (within
sensible limits, of course) is not, the M5 is a real winner.  With its longe
effective RF baselength it also focuses better these beautiful 90mm lenses.

My 2c worth,

Curt