Subject: Re: "used" Old vs. brand new M lenses
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 09:07:39 -0400

At 08:10 PM 08-08-97 +0800, Ferdinand wrote:
>Hello luggers,
>
>I just want to know whether its worthwhile buying the latest:
>
>50/2 summicrom M vs. the older 50/2 summicron
>90/2.8 elmarit M vs. the 80's 90/2.8 tele elmarit lens
>35/2.0 summicron M vs. the older 35/2.0 summicron
>28/2.8 Elmarit M vs. the older 28/2.8 elmarit
>
>a.) for the 50 summicron I'll be saving something like $300-$400 between
>the older one and the latest summicron M. Also what is the DR summicron
>with and without finder ? do i need this finder on the M6 ?

I think the DR summicron is a great lens, with or without the eyes.  I saw
one recently in Toronto Canada (at Henry's on Church Street) in excellent
condition with eyes for $495 Canadian.  Glass was clean, and mechanicals
were very smooth.  A similar lens down the street at Vistek was marked at
about $750, so it pays to shop around.

>b.) for the 90 elmarit, I'll be saving about $400-$500, between the tele
>elmarit and the elmarit M. I heard the new lens is vastly improved. Can u
>tell the difference in the pix and is it worth it ?

It is hard to believe that the new Elmarit is "vastly" improved over the
older tele-elmarit.  My tele-elmarit takes supurb pictures, is very
lightweight, an excellent lens.  I see lots of them around in 2nd hand
stores, so they can't be that expensive.  Highly recommended.

[snip]

Dan C.