Subject: Re: Standard Focal Lengths
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 19:42:21 -0400

At 02:34 PM 08-08-97 -0600, you wrote:
>LUGs and Rolleis,
>
>Last night, I did a little thinking about the so-called standard focal
>lengths. It is widely thought that 50mm is the standard, or normal, length
>for 35mm cameras and 80mm is standard, or normal, for 6-by-6 (cm) cameras.
>This is curious since using the normally-accepted calculation, the standard
>focal length for 35mm leads to something like 43mm. Leitz produced the 40mm
>lenses only for the CL and, possibly, on some plastic cameras. Yet, I find
>this focal length to be more natural. I would make the same comment about
>the 75mm lens on the Rolleiflexes.
>
>Does anyone know why 80mm is considered preferable for the 6-by-6 format? I
>believe that 50mm became a de-facto standard, because it was first used by
>Oscar Barnack before WWI and later in most Leica TM cameras.

Maybe it all depends on what you mean by standard.  My understanding is
that a focal length is considered "standard" if a print made from it has
normal looking perspective.  If the viewing distance of the print = VD,
then normal perspective occurs when

	MAG = VD/FL		where MAG = magnification of negative
				          FL = focal length of lens

For example,  a 50 mm lens will be "normal" for roughly 5x7 inch prints
held at a distance of 10 inches.  8x10 inch prints held at a distance of 10
inches will have a decided telephoto perspective. etc., etc.

Dan C.