Subject: Re: Standard Focal Lengths
From: FKemper@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 18:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 08.08.97  21:30:49, schreiben Sie:

<< Does anyone know why 80mm is considered preferable for the 6-by-6 format?
 believe that 50mm became a de-facto standard, because it was first used by
 Oscar Barnack before WWI and later in most Leica TM cameras. >>

I assume that the reason for this is very simple: a 80 mm lens in 6x6 equals
a 50 mm lens in 35 mm, so the lens designers just made the standard for
lenses equal in both formats. Besides this I do prefer slightly longer normal
lenses. 40 mm (as experienced with a Rollei 35) is definitely a very boring
focal length for me.

Frank