Subject: Wetzlar, Solms, Portugal
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 15:40:01 -0400

At 12:19 PM 8/1/97 -0400, Joy Lindstrom wrote:
> Ben - is the origin of a product where it is assembled or where the parts
>are made?  My PC has parts made in a half dozen countries & assembled in
>Thailand.  Do you believe what the German gentleman has written above
>or have the workers from Wetzlar moved to Portugal

Marvin Moss' original point was that there was a difference between
Wetzlar-made and Solms-made M6's.

The plant in Portugal was opened several decades back in 1976.  It produced
sub-components for all Leica cameras thereafter.  Production since 1976
whether at Wetzlar or Solms has consisted of assembly of sub-components,
some produced in Germany by Leitz/Leica, some produced by outside
suppliers, and some produced at the Famalicao plant in Portugal.

Nothing changed when production shifted to Solms.  Period.  The same
assembly techniques are used today as on the initial M6 in 1984, the same
suppliers of sub-components are used.  The assembly techniques are
identical.  The QA process is identical.  The final inspection standards
are identical.

If two cameras are made by identical methods from identical materials on an
indentical design to identical standards, then they are identical.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!