Subject: Barnack, Berek, Zeiss, and Leitz
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 15:30:39 -0400

At 11:58 AM 8/1/97 -0400, JayPax@aol.com wrote:
>Are you saying that Zeiss glass generally is better than Leitz glass or what?
> What are the different standard that they designed their glass to in the
>past.  I thought that they were designed with generally the same design
>characteristics.  Please enlighten us.

The Readers' Digest version is that Leitz did not have the capacity to
develop extraordinally fine optics until the last 30 years.  They thus
built lenses, as Barnack used to say, "good enough for the purpose, and no
better".  Max Berek -- a microscope optician with no background in camera
lenses -- used a simple trick of exagerrating the out-of-focus images to
accentuate the sharpness of the in-focus image.  This makes the in-focus
portion seem substantially sharper than it is, and produces what Gianni
Rogliatti calls the 'Leica Glow'.  Zeiss, Voigtlander, Steinheil, and other
established German houses deemed this a cheap trick, but the public loved
the effect, and Leica's reputation for 'sharpness' was established.  (This
is a large part of the reason why Leica lenses did not test especially well
in the early camera-magazine tests.)

Zeiss, on the other hand, always has aimed at the absolute best performance
on all optical parameters from its lenses.  Thus, Zeiss lenses tend to be
exceedingly expensive.  Leitz lenses, on the other hand, tended to be a bit
cheaper but produced images quite different from those brought about by
Zeiss optics.

By 1960, particularly due to the influence of the great Dr Walter Mandler
at the Leitz works in Midland, Ontario, the emphasis had changed to
producing lenses to the limit of optical abilities, and this has been
emphasized in recent years.  The director of design at Leica was hired away
from a similar position at Zeiss, so the optical parameters used by the two
firms are now quite similar.  For instance, both Zeiss and Leitz now design
by use of MTF.

DISPUTED POINT:  Many disagree with the following.  I feel that the changes
made to the more common lenses (2/35, 2/50, and 2/90) over the past thirty
years have been made to produce GOOD results from lenses which are cheaper
to make than their predecessors.  Thus, I prefer the 2/50 DR to the current
Summicron.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!