Subject: Re: Barnack, Berek, Zeiss, and Leitz
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 15:59:17 -0400

At 03:30 PM 01-08-97 -0400, Marc wrote:
[snip]
>DISPUTED POINT:  Many disagree with the following.  I feel that the changes
>made to the more common lenses (2/35, 2/50, and 2/90) over the past thirty
>years have been made to produce GOOD results from lenses which are cheaper
>to make than their predecessors.  Thus, I prefer the 2/50 DR to the current
>Summicron.

My first leica Lens was a 50 Summicron (the latest optical formula,
#31blahblah).  I never got bad results with it, but was never overly
thrilled with it, either.  I eventually traded it to someone for a 50
Summilux.  A few months ago I purchased a DR Summicron complete with eyes.
This appears to be the lens I had hoped my first Summicron would be.  All
images produced with my "new" DR appear very sharp, nice contrast, nice
colour, at all openings, centre and edge.   Close-ups with the eyes are
excellent.   It is a wonderful lens, and I highly recommend it to anyone
looking for a less expensive alternative to buying a new 50.  I realize
that Irwin Puts has measured the current Summicrons to be better lenses,
but...

My only question now is, what to do with my Summilux?

Dan C.