Subject: Re: Wetzlar, Solms, Portugal
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 14:38:55

>At 12:19 PM 8/1/97 -0400, Joy Lindstrom wrote:

>> Ben - is the origin of a product where it is assembled or where the parts
>>are made?  My PC has parts made in a half dozen countries & assembled in
>>Thailand.

By interntational convention, a product is considered to be made in the
country where more than 50% of it's value is added. It matters not that all
the parts of a widgit are made in Sri Lanka, if it is assembled in the USA,
and the value of the highly paid american workers is more than that of the
more poorly paid Sri Lankan workers (who probably put a lot more hours into
it), it is classed as "Made in USA".  Same with Canada, Britain, Italy etc.

With Germany having the hightest labour rates in the world these days, a
lot can be made in Portugaul (at lower wage rates), and when assembled in
Germany, still qualify as "Made in Germany".

Indeed, there have been (as I recall) reports on the LUG about Minolta made
Leica lenses, that are 100% built in Japan, but so seriously re-worked in
Solms, that they qualify for "Made in Germany".

David Young, Victoria, CANADA     |
http://www.islandnet.com/~youngs/ |