Subject: Re: Barnack, Berek, Zeiss, and Leitz
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 18:01:13 -0400

At 03:24 PM 8/1/97 -0500, Glen Robinson wrote:
>Rolleiflex and other medium and large format negatives until a few years
>after World War II were routinely contact printed.  Classic cameras used
>with modern films produce images that compare very favorably with images
>from modern high quality lenses.  Why did Zeiss create lenses that produced
>vastly more information than could be recorded on films at that time or
>recovered?

Glen

You, of all people, ask this?  (For the list, Glen is in an enviable
position:  he BUYS commercial stuff from Zeiss, to HIS specifications.
Would that Zeiss listened to me and thee the way they do to him!)

Zeiss aimed at absolute perfection.  This changed a bit after World War II
due to the demands of the Real World, and has shifted a bit more in today's
turbulent market -- Zeiss often produces The Perfect Answer To The Unasked
Question -- but, all in all, they have a record of accomplishment in
ignoring economic realities in producing the Best That Can Be Made.

Example:  I have slews of binoculars.  I tend to find myself, time and
again, falling back as my standard glasses on Carl Zeiss 10x40 BGA's and
Carl Zeiss Jena 7x40 DF's.  When you own the best, why look elsewhere?

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!