Subject: Re: Opinions on cases
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 08:48:01 -0600

>> What other protective cases do you use?  I am looking for something to
>> use on family trips where I just want to use a standard lens, pop a
>> few rolls of film in my pocket and be free.  What I like to know is
>> whether Leica's soft everready case is any more convenient than the
>> hard one and whether a 50mm Summicron will fit in it.

I have a khaki army surplus bag which I picked up for next to nothing at an
army surplus store.  I took some foam, put it in the freezer for several
hours, then cut it with a bread knife to a shape that would fit inside the
bag.  It has side pockets which will hold extra filters and film.  The
outside has been sprayed with a water repellant, but if it is raining
really heavily, the entire bag fits nicely inside my jacket.
   The bag looks like a piece of junk - just the kind of thing that helps
to keep thieves looking for some other target.  The strap buckles are
slightly rusty.  There is writing on the outside ... it looks like
identification of the soldier who once used it.  This bag is light and very
inconspicuous.  No one pays any attention to it.  Some cases and bags might
as well have a sign on them that reads, "Rip me off!"
   Bags and cases are very personal things.  I have six and they all serve
different purposes, depending on their intended use.  If I want to travel
light and go unnoticed, the army surplus bag suits me fine.  I wouldn't
carry it if I were dressed formally at some important function, but for
street shooting I find it to be well suited to my needs.

- -GH