Subject: Re: Shortage of Used R 6.2 Leicas??
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 16:49:22 -0600

 A coworker of mine, an engineer, has this very problem.  It's surprisingly
difficult to get him to accept that there are just three basic controls you
need: focus, aperture, and shutter speed.

This is so basic, yet so important to understanding photography, at any
level.  You are absolutely right.  Limit the features on a camera, and
force the user to exercise creative control of the end result.  That's one
of the reasons why I like manual cameras.
   I suspect that the R 6.2 will go down in Leica's history as one of the
finest cameras it has ever produced -- fully mechanical, durable, and
reliable.  What more could you ask for?  In thirty years, I'd like to be
around to compare the resale value of the R 6.2 and any current
microprocessor-controlled camera.  As has happened to so many of these
computer-controlled cameras, once they become discontinued and their parts
no longer are easy to find, their value declines rapidly.
   I know of some who have exactly the same problem you describe.  They use
cameras with just about every possible button and feature imaginable, yet
they can't take a decent picture because they do not understand how to
exercise creative control using just a few simple basics.

- -GH