Subject: Re: An interesting camera
From: FKemper@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 18:09:13 -0400 (EDT)

In einer eMail vom 27.07.97  05:39:18, schreiben Sie:

<< Why is it so
 difficult to develop a reasonable compromise between a classic camera
 design, and contemporary technology, and to keep it "affordable"? >>

I assume it is pure marketing. I noticed quite a while ago, that lots of US
photo amateurs were absolutely amazed by the Rollei Prego camera family (made
by Samsung in Korea). They did not realize that they had an average korean
camera in their hands. As Rollei does not excell ttoo much in lens design
(their best lenses are either designed or made or both by Zeiss) their only
chance to remain interesting for a certain group of buyers is: become
expensive and offer things to boast about. I am sure that they watched Leica
very closely. When the company changed from E. Leitz to Leica Camera, they
raised the price of a M6 from approx. 1500 US$ to 2500 US$ without changing
anything at the camera. It did not harm the sales figures, I believe.

Some two years ago I visited Rollei in Braunschweig (just short after the
Samsung turnover). They showed me ugly golden Rollei 35's with little
diamonds in the front of the body. They were offering this tasteless cameras
at an outrageous price - and told me that the asians really got wild about
these cameras and paid every amount of money which was asked.

Go figure.

Frank