Subject: Re: An interesting camera
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmun.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 16:06:40 PDT

> They showed me ugly golden Rollei 35's with little diamonds in the front
> of the body.

Wie schrecklich!

For future products, I can only wish that Leica reduce the amount of
"advertising" on the front of the cameras.  It is so nice that the
earlier cameras had the name and model number on the top plate and
the front had no markings or words.  Front plate "advertising" may
be necessary for brand recognition amongst other manufacturers, but
Leica is distinct enough not to need this.  Ironically, they not
only engraved "Leica" on the front plate, they did it twice with the
overly-conspicuous red emblem.

Fine cameras, like fine cars, do not need to be festooned with
marketing hype.

- -Dave