Subject: Re: M6 Test Results
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmun.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 97 11:34:46 PDT

> My concern:
>
> Because of the number of complaints I have heard about the M6's
> reliability, adjustment, etc... I'm very much hesitant.

> a.) what are the chances of getting an M6 that would immediately need
> attention (adjustment, etc.) in the 1st 6 months of ownership ?

> b.) can these adjustments & defect be detected while you are in the store...

> c.) for as long as I don't drop it, bang it, etc.. what are the chances...

> e.) Taking the risk of the body going wrong, should I go for it ?

A few years ago, I would've asked questions like this, too.  While I doubt
that the defect rate is high (someone said 40% -- that sounds worse than an
old Petri), I don't think this is the right frame of mind for something like
photography.

Life is short.  More often we regret not doing something than we regret
taking a chance and doing something.  I would buy the M6, have fun with it
and not worry about potential problems.  If something goes wrong, chances
are that it'll happen during the warranty period and you'll get it fixed.
Just have fun with it and fix it if it breaks.

- -Dave