Subject: Re: Fixer Question
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 09:58:27 -0400

At 09:40 AM 20-07-97 -0400, Richard wrote:
>Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>
>Since I am spemding more time in the darkroom, I now have a question about
>fixers for paper.  I find myself using more RC paper because its easier to
>process.  Please pardon my ignorance but is it beneficial to use a
>hardening or non-hardening fixer?
>
>I usually develop, stop bath, then fix, hold the prints in a water bath for
>as short a time as possible, then wash (rinse) with fresh water, Permawash
>(hypo eliminator) and rinse again with fresh water.

You should never use a hardening fixer for paper.  In fact, it is probably
best not to use a hardening fixer for film, unless you anticipate possible
rough handling of the film, while it is wet.  Once the film is dry,
hardeners have no more benefit.

Also, for RC paper, Permawash is probably not neccessary.  What is
important for RC paper is to try to keep the total wet time as short as
possible.

Dan C.