Subject: Re: Fixer Question
From: "Roy C. Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:34:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Jul 1997, Richard Clompus wrote:

> process.  Please pardon my ignorance but is it beneficial to use a
> hardening or non-hardening fixer?

For several years, I've been using fixers without hardener mixed up from
liquid concentrates (Ilford and now Heico) for both fb and rc papers.
Even the oldest prints show no signs of deterioration from inadequate
fixing or washing.  With the Heico 30 second fix for rc as indicated by
the mfr. a hypo clearing treatment is not recommended.  Apparently, the
plastic surface along with the short fix time prevents absorption of the
fixer into the paper itself.  After fixing rc prints, I wash for about
five minutes in a 16x20 tray equipped with one of those Kodak siphon
thingees, dumping all the water and refilling about half way through the
process.

Fiber base is a different story - two fixes (again w/o hardener), selenium
toning, hypo clearing, one hour wash in a Zone VI washer etc etc etc.

When I remember, I do add hardener (Heico offers this additive separately)
to the fixer solution for film as a precaution against scratches in the
emulsion.

Written by:     Roy C. Zartarian        | Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart