Subject: Re: Newbie to Leica
From: wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:08:03 -0400

Many Leica users agree (I'm not one of them) that the M3 is THE body to buy
if you don't use lenses wider than 50mm very often. The nearly life size
view is appreciated by many.

The collapsible 50 and the rigid 50 of the same era have different
formulas. IMHO the rigid has a _slight_ edge in sharpness.

The whole question of which of the various versions of the 50 Summicron is
"best" is widely, and sometimes hotly, debated. IMHO they are all superb.
My personal preference is the DR version, both for its rendering of shadow
detail and its close focusing ability. Others will have difference
opinions.

While there are many choices to make in Leica gear, it is hard to make a
bad choice.

kw

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>