Subject: Re: M winder
From: Hans Pahlen <hp635@skola.mark.se>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 01:44:22 +0200

Mike Gardner wrote:
> I know this topic has been run through before in various permutations,
> but I am interested in hearing anyone's experience with the M-winder,
> latest version coupled with an M6.  Many times I wish to make three in-

Mike,
I have used an M6 with the M-winder, and I never had any problems with
it. Maybe the on-off lever seemed a bit "cheap" to me, but functionality
was just fine. The shutter release button pumps up and down a bit under
your finger as you shoot sequences, but it is easy to get used to this,
pressing the release button in a gentle way. (If you press the release
button too hard, all the way to the bottom, the winder will stop until
you let it go again)
But most of the time, the winder was resting in a cupboard at home, as
it is an accessory to bring only when it is really needed, and
eventually I traded it for something I needed better. An M-camera is
rather fast to wind manually, after all.
Once I used it to photograph sequences in a ballet. One night I used a
Nikon F4s with 180/2,8 and the next night I used the M6, standing
closer, using the Summicron 90 and a monopod. As I knew where action was
going to take place, the lens was prefocused, and I could concentrate on
pressing the button at the best moment and let the winder do its job.
Only negative factor with the M6 compared to Nikon, was that I had to
set F/2,8 and 1/60 before lights went out...
Regards, Hans