Subject: Re: Why I Sold My Contax Stuff
From: "Roger Suppona" <suppona@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 23:57:08 +0000

Richard,

A short stint with a Nikon 8008s taught me how important it is to
have equipment that doesn't get in the way.  While my M4-P is simple
and unobtrusive, the Nikon was complicated and intrusive.  I've long
advocated it's the glass that matters.  Now I'm convinced that while
the glass is the major component, the body has to be a tool that
isn't a distraction because of complex operation or shoddy
construction.

As to those offers on your G1.  The first dealer was shooting for a
real bargain (I'm being diplomatic here <g>).  The second offer was
probably closer to the mark in light of the dealer's need for a
markup.  You could have done better selling it yourself, but not
everyone wants to put up with the hassle.  While far from being a
scientific observation, used G1's do seem to frequent the market,
possibly depressing the price.  Far more show up for sale than I
would think reasonable for such a young camera.  I've found it
rather interesting that where the G1 really stirred up things (an
alternative to the M6), the response to the G2 seems somewhat
subdued.  Maybe the novelty's worn off.  I know neither the G1 or G2
are for me.

Much as I'd like to see alternatives to the M6, I'm afraid nobody but
Leica really "gets it".  Other pretenders to the throne will most
likely follow the Contax model and Leica will continue to sell all
the M6's they can build.

Roger