Subject: Re: 2.8/90 Rankings
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 12:18:30 -0500

>90mm lenses:
>
>Guys.
>
>I have to say this, only because if you are a working photographer and using
>them regularly, any lenses. I find it hard to believe which one is better than
>the other makes any difference!
>
>My concern over the years has always been buying a particular lens to do a
>particular job on an assignment.  I beleive I might have said this before, but
>how many photographers with their asses down in the mud or wondering what the
>next sound might bring, worry about let alone give any thought to which of the
>90's gives whatever it is different, one to the other?

Come on Ted we all know that the MOST important thing is how each lens
compares to another via bench shooting.  ;)  After all what other type of
photography is there?  Surely you jest when you say that someone actually
uses these things for real life shooting.  ;)

But seriously, I know that I evaluate all of my options before I purchase a
new lens or camera or whatever; be it for my Leica gear, my EOS gear or my
Hasselblad gear.  I want to know that when I am shooting on assignment for
one of my clients my equipment is going to produce the best quality image
possible.  In every system there are options between different lenses of
the same focal length, and I want to be sure I am getting the best quality
equipment.  For what I charge my clients I find it ridiculous to try to
scrimp on gear.  The last thing I want to worry about on assignment is
"Will my gear work?"  Also for me I want to know about vignetting as just
about all I shoot is chrome and this is a very noticable effect on color
slide film and if I want that effect I want to create it, not the lens.

When your ass is down in the mud is not the time to think of quality of
gear. However; at the time of purchase it sure does enter my mind.  Mainly
so that when I am in an intense shooting situation I know that the image I
see is what I get when I shoot.

Harrison McClary
hmphoto@delphi.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto