Subject: Re: 2.8/90 Rankings
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 17 May 97 23:53:57 EDT

Harrison McClary wrote:

<<<In every system there are options between different lenses of the same focal
length, and I want to be sure I am getting the best quality
equipment.>>>>

Hi Harrison,

I know your right about checking the various lenses of the same focal length,
but I have to say this right out in the open, a first time confession guys, only
because shooters like yourself have opened my weary eyes to something more than
" get the fastest lens and the right focal length for what you need to shoot!"

All my years of using Leica I have just gone on the assumption of "it's Leica
therefore it's the best."....therefore what's to test?

The guys and gals on the LUG since I joined have taught me a whole bunch of
things I never ever considered when I bought any of my Leica gear.  Either I've
been damn lucky and not had the failures others have,  or I'm just stupid and
haven't recognized the difference.
Maybe stupid! :)

Like you, I'm paid very well for what I do, but have always gone on the
assumption that using Leica was the best, therefore my clients were receiving
the best recorded image possible on the film, B&W or transp.

It just never occured to me that even within several lenses of identical focal
lengths one would give a better rendition of backlighting, as Roger Beaman
explained to me the other day, than another.

My first re-action to the announcements of the aspherical lenses: "Aw what the
hell just another gizmo lens for more sales." And without any further test or
heavy duty reading to understand what it would do for me, I just wrote it off.
What a shame for someone who has used Leica's for longer than I care to
remember, as it reminds me of just how old I'm getting, (well OK mature:) )

Just on the point made by Roger I'm buying a couple of asphericals and with no
other thought than I have heard and seen the words of those who have tested and
are users. I'm taking the word of guys who I feel without question know what
they are talking about, therefore why should I waste my time "testing-trying".
If it doesn't show me major difference I can just sell it. Simple logic.

<<The last thing I want to worry about on assignment is "Will my gear work?"

We all fear and ask that question and I've been very fortunate, I've only had a
couple of heart stopping times when something crashed on me, but that was
usually my own fault for not paying attention.

I just have great and complete confidence in Leica equipment that other than
checking batteries and or a quick run through of all shutter speeds, I know my
gear is going to work. I have in the past used some completely electronic gear
that I never expected it to work from one day to the next and was always
concerned, that if it crashed I'd be blind assed screwed. This always led me to
have an M camera in my bag so I could maybe "save the day."

Sorry I'm rambling a bit, when I just wanted to say a big thank you to many on
the LUG for opening my eyes beyond the fastest apeture!

ted
Victoria, Canada
http//www.island.com/~tedgrant