Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: ted grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 30 Apr 97 23:37:38 EDT

Roger Beamon wrote:

<<Ah c'mon, Ted. Are you saying that grants from the government are not
necessary? How quaint in today's world.>>>>>>>

G'day Roger,

never had a grant in my life from any government for anything, least of all any
of my books nor for any of my photographic personal projects!  I'm not a
believer in riding on the back of other tax payers for my personal fun pastime.
As I see those who do, as nothing but leaches!

If they can't do it on their own, "TOUGH! GET A JOB, SAVE THE MONEY AND THEN DO
THE BOOK!" But don't expect me and others to pay for the fun of taking pictures
and producing something that only they can understand.

I figure if there weren't this government BS of giving money away to the
"artist" group, we wouldn't have so much garbage photography around that only
some camera manipulator understands and nobody buys.

If a person wants to do a photo project bad enough they should earn the money
first or borrow it, do the project, make money from it and pay back the loan.

My latest book is the direct result of earning money from assignments and using
some of that to fund, over a ten year period, a documentary of the medical
profession at work. And that included part of the assignment being shot in the
old USSR.  On top of that, when the book was finally published, the publishers
put themselves into receivership and walked off with $40,000 dollars in
collected royalties of which I nary received a cent. So how does that grab you?

In Canada we have the Canada Council who give money to, I'll use the terminology
in the loosest of term, "photographers" to do photo projects of no use to the
Nation after it is completed and is a waste of tax payers money, when it should
go for health care and education.

And as far as grants not being necessary from the government? No they are not
warranted, as unfortunately too many grants are used by those who know how to
play/work the game of acquiring the funding with no worth while endeavor being
accomplished. They survive on the backs of people who pay the taxes and the
grants are wasted to such a terrible degree it becomes criminal to give the
money away.

<<<<Some years ago I located a magnum of Ch. Mouton Rothschild, 1929.
With a lovely poached salmon and rack of lamb,>>>>>>>

A gentleman of major class! :)  And a meal I would surely have paid an extra
shilling or two for the privilege of dining at your table. :) I might well have
offered myself the title and chore of "official photographer of the event!" :)

Using of course, Lecias! As they would be the only camera of class to have
recorded such a feast. :)

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant