Subject: Re: Leicaphilia
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:13:54 -0700

On 30 Apr 97,  ted grant <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>  wrote:

<much snipped>

> Final solution? Get money and publish your own book! Then you only
> have yourself to blame if you loose your money because no one buys
> it! Quite frankly it is a great eye opener when you have had several
> books published and they don't have people jumping off buildings to
> buy them.

Ah c'mon, Ted. Are you saying that grants from the government are not
necessary? How quaint in today's world.

> In the real world of publishing there are some "art publishers" who
> will wing a book and if it looks like it is on a roll for sales once
> out on the street, they'll print more. But these peole do very few
> non-profit making publications, they don't do it out of the goodnss
> of their hearts, despite sometimes we think they should publish
> because, "Damn my work is the most beautiful photography in the
> World!" :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ted, for your bang on comments on
how the free enterprise system works with respect to photography.

If photos are so complex and sophisticated that it requires
cognoscenti to appreciate them, they are doomed to be the playthings
of only the cognoscenti. If, on the other hand, they strike a chord
with the proletariat, they will then, indeed, be works of art!

Some years ago I located a magnum of Ch. Mouton Rothschild, 1929.
With a lovely poached salmon and rack of lamb, we enjoyed this bottle
with 11 other couples. It was showcased against 11 other bottles of
very highly regarded clarets. The Mouton and only the Mouton,
however, when uncorked, filled the room with its exquisite bouquet.
It *did not* require "time in type" to appreciate this truly great
bottle. It's the lesser bottles that require knowledge and experience
to make an informed decision as to which are worth cellaring. This
knowledge and experience is called teaching in other fields.
Necessary, for the aspirants to greatness, but not for the great!

Ok, ok, the evening was captured by very ordinary record shots from
an M3! (Whew, almost forgot what list I was on.)
- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       Docent: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
       Leica Historical Society Of America
       mailto:beamon@primenet.com
         Thought for the day:
    Concerto (n): a fight between a piano and a pianist.