Subject: Re: R8's Multi-Pattern Metering
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 97 10:20:05 -0000

Any thoughts on the F5's meter
>vs the  R8's?? or the advantages of one or the other?  I do have three Leica
>lenses, a SL and SL2(which I would never part with) to add to the
>equation.... and now a lower price on the M6?
>Any thoughts on the comparative merits on these three great but diffferent
>models would be appreciated.
Well, I did a scene-by-scene comparison for the magazine I am writing for
between the R8 and the F5 metering systems. Using Ektachrome 100S we
noticed that any scene was exposed slightly different when using Nikon's
75/25 and 1005matrix pattern and Leica's spot/matrix and integral
metering.Most differences were within half a stop and occasionally in
difficult lightning situations one stop. The presumed colourpattern
recognition ability did not give any significant advantages. However,
when a scene had a dominant colour (i.e.  a green field) the Nikon
adjusted its exposure with 1/3 (mostly) to 1/2 (sometimes) stop. I would
give any metering system high ratings. The small adjustments on the
over/under exposure side are noticably but not big enough to say that any
system outperforms any other in every lightning situation. Here the
intelligence and perception (and personal tastes) of the photographer
still outweigh the machine. Personally I was very happy with
Leica'spotmeter (accurate but only for the experienced user)  and its
matrix meter. The difference in most situations with the integral meter
was however slight, but it had the edge. The F5 1005 pattern was as good
as any but it showed no significant advantage, You still had to
think/adjust for best results in difficult situations.
The SL(2) has an accurate spotmeter. But most scenes do not require such
precise metering. In fact using only the spotmeer and metering the
'wrong' spot results in a higher percentage of bad pictures. A spot-only
camera needs a handheld meter for most scenes.
Hopes this helps
Erwin Puts