Subject: Re: Lens Standards
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 97 12:02:06 -0000

I am a little surprised at the negative attitude of most LUG members to
POP Photo.Their optical and technical expertise is second to none in the
world. I, for on, would feel honored to be able to discuss optical
matters with them.
We should feel a little more relaxed about other people's opinions about
Leica lenses. Following the exchange of opinions about several Leica
lenses in the last few months I do not get the impression that the LUG
members themselves have one common denominator for lens evaluations. I do
remember my first post when I made some comments on the Summicron DR and
got instantly killed, because my comments were  (and are not) in line
with the majority. A few weeks ago somebody stated that the Noctilux 1,0
is only usefull at full aperture. On the basis of the results from the
optical bench and also from *MY* practice, this is not true. But his
opinion as a personal statement should be respected.
Marc is right, that no optical test can do full credit to all
characteristics of a lens. 'Different lenses are designed to meet
different criteria', he says, which is OK. It is however possible to use
ONE test to evaluate these different criteria. Astigmatism as such will
be seen by every test done properly. It is the relative weight you attach
to this phenomenon on which you construct your opinion or evaluation.
Some examples. I measured the curvature of field of the old and new
Summicron 90mm. The new one had: 0,02 and the old one: 0,07. So from the
results the new one is "better". But in practice you do not see these
differences. I also measured the decentring in an old Minolta lens and a
new Leica lens. The Minolta had a value of 0,00 (!) and the Leica 0,04.
Is the Minolta better? The Noctilux has more  (measured) astigmatism at
full aperture than every lens I ever tested. But is it a bad lens?
My point then is: the test criteria for a lens can be defined in a quite
objective and measurable manner. And that is across all lenses and
different sets of criteria. Pop Photo has presumably the same set as
Chasseurs d'Images or Leica or Zeiss or Canon.
The interpreation of these results is what matters. And indeed we must
honour the design decisions of the optical designer who has a certain
optimum use in mind when balancing conflicting demands.