Subject: Re: Snobby Leica
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 97 21:35:55 -0000

>To me, the limiting factor in image quality these days is the size of
>the negative. I think the better 35mm optics are far superior to the
>film we have available. If there is some superiority to Leitz lenses,
>it's probably only measurable on an optical bench. If you can't
>capture the image on film, because of the limitations of grain, what
>difference does it make?
This is definitely not true. The most recent films (and some older =
ones (Technical Pan) are far superior to almost any lens in =
production. That's the reason why Leica is now in its first major =
optical upgrading since 1979. The new films dictate new optical =
recomputations to take advantage of the image qualities on film.

>On a related note, there is a lot of fuss made by some about how
>wonderful some lens or another is at full aperture. While shooting at
>full aperture may make for an interesting effect at times, and may
>make it possible to get any image at all in some circumstances, most
>of the time it results in an image in which most of the subject is
>out of focus due to narrow depth of field. What good is all that
>resolving power to anything in the image that doesn't happen to be
>right on the plane of focus?
Again not true. If a lens at full aperture is better than another =
one, then the optical qualities will be better till let us say f/5,6 =
or f/8,0. After that aperture the levelling off begins.
If you focus correctly at full aperture there should be no =
'out-of-focus-problems'. Especially Leica makes sure that the optical =
plane of focus is within very narrow tolerances (1/100mm) to the =
mechanical one, i.e. the negative. The narrow field of depth you =
mention is relative. When shooting at 3 meters with a 90mm at 2,0 or =
2,8 the depth of field is =B140cm and =B1 50cm, more than enough to =
capture the "thickness" of a human being or a cat.
A well correced lens will not only be exactly sharp at the  plane of =
focus, but also axcceptably sharp before and behind this plane. =
Again, here is an area where Leica is still superior to other lens =
makers.
Erwin Puts