Subject: Re: R8's Multi-Pattern Metering
From: Ted Grant <75501.3002@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 22 Mar 97 13:35:42 EST

Chip wrote:

<<<I just held a R8 for the first time and it's size
was a shock and it didn't seem to fit my hand  with the large trapazoid
 thing on the right, but it also had the new 70-200 zoom which could have
skewed my perception.....
Any thoughts on the comparative merits on these three great but diffferent
models would be appreciated>>>

Good morning Chip,

I think you were given an unforunate introduction to the R8 if you only handled
it with the 70-200 attached. Obviously you would find a chunk of machinery like
that heavy, however the R8 with any of the regular lenses isn't any heavier than
the latest Nikon or Canon, it maybe with the motor attached.

But I've used my R8 for 3 1/2 months of assignments and "learning to use" and it
is the most comfortable camera I have ever had in my hands in 40 years as a
photographer and I have two more on order as soon as they can be delivered with
motors.

Now I have a good sized hand, so that may add to my comfort zone for handling
and I don't find the camera any different than working with 3 R7's and motors
attached.

I've had experience handling and shooting with the Canon EOS1n and I still
prefer the R8, but then I'm biased and emotional :) about Leica.:)

Most of the shooting with the R8 has been with the APO 70-180 2.8 and that is a
handful in itself, however I find I work with it now as though it were a 100mm
lens. I guess it is like any new product, one has to become accustomed to the
weight and feel.  But it truly is a beauty to hold and use.

ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant