Subject: Re: Snobby Leica
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 97 20:13:21 -0800

My subjective, personal opinion, of course:

Leica makes some pretty good lenses, both M and R. The quality of finish
in the lens mounts are generally very high. Leica SLR bodies have always
been nicely made hunks of metal, which pleases me, but have not fit my
hands well. The R8 is a departure from that .. it's still nicely made but
it fits my hands very well indeed. (BTW, the lack of motor drive in the
body is a PLUS for me ... I prefer a motor drive when I want it, and like
to be able to remove it when I dont.) The II/III series RF cameras were
brilliant and arguably the best of their time (some people prefer the
Canon, some the Nikon, some the Contax). I owned three/four of them and
used them extensively, always hated the poor, old fashioned viewfinder
though. The M is a lovely piece of work and it's quality of design is
demonstrated by the fact that the same basic camera, 40 years later,
still sells well and is satisfying to many users, even at very high cost.

However, I don't hold any camera make or type as sacred. A tremendous
amount of my photography over the past 31 years or so has been done with
Nikon equipment and, while I can see differences in the characteristic
color and contrast of the Nikon lenses compared to the Leica lenses, to
say one is "better" than the other is generally unsupportable. They are
subtly different, some particular designs and examples are better than
others. Similarly, I happen to like the look of Carl Zeiss lenses very
much as well, and they are also subtly different from either of the above
two. And so on down each of the lens makers' lines. I use and appreciate
different products for different reasons, depending upon what they
deliver.

Are Leica users snobbier than others? I dunno. I don't care either. To
me, the cameras and lenses are tools for doing photography, and I'll use
any tool that I have or that I find appropriate to get the pictures I
want. I'm not a collector, although I do have many nice little
collections of photographic tools which I appreciate. But my interest is
ultimately photography, not cameras, and a good tool is a good tool.
Leicas have been good tools for photography longer than most others
around, so many owners harbor a certain satisfaction from owning a device
with some historical cachet. There's nothing wrong with that. The only
beef I have is a trivial one: the price that Leica wants for their
equipment nowadays is so high that I can't really enjoy the equipment as
much as I could if I could more easily afford it. Whether that price is
too high for your satisfaction is up to you.

The minute they stop being useful photographic tools is the minute they
lose the collectible, desireable aura to me. Collectible value is not
based upon "special editions" and trim options, it's based upon quality
and a reputation for solid, usable value in my book.

Many have expressed a desire for more modern Leica RF camera, some of the
thoughts have run to a model similar to the Contax G series, etc. I think
there's certainly room for improvement in the Leica RF now, but I don't
believe that just replicating a Contax G is the way to go, nor would I
like to see the current M series dropped. There is a place in my heart
for quality, mechanical, happy-without-a-battery photographic equipment,
just as there is a place for high tech, modern, sophisticated equipment
as well. Both are useful tools for certain circumstances. To have only
one of these options and not the other would reflect a loss to me for
photography in general.

Godfrey