Subject: Re: Snobby Leica
From: ireland@blazenet.net (Robert Brummett)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:48:25 -0500

>At 03:23 PM 2/24/97 -0600, Steven Blutter wrote:
>
>>and since as photographers, whom the art world neglects, are great
>aetheticians, i'm >sure you will agree that prettier is better! (this goes
>for tools too)
>
>I'm sorry, but this is gibberish.  Are you trying to say that photographers
>are aesthetes?  None of my dictionaries list "aetheticians" as a word.
>
>Marc
>

>msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
>Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

You know what he means Marc, whatever your dictionaries say or don't say.

Painters appreciate a really fine brush, and sculptors know a fine steel
chisel when they work with one. Unfortunately, photographers can get
sidetracked on the instruments of their craft that are supposed to be no
more than a means to an end. That is, after all, what most of us are all
doing here in the first place.

(murmurmurmurmurmur)

Just because you're a photographer doesn't make you an artist, no more than
being a stone-cutter makes you the spiritual descendant of Michelangelo.

One of the attitudes that has made the semi-knowledgable public suspicious
of photography-as-art is the sort of mechanical fixation that sometimes
afflicts us Leicaphiles. Weston, Strand, even the sanctified HCB, were very
hardware-neutral workers. If it works, great. But you don't have to erect
monuments to it. The excellence of the images produced by the instrument
may or may not be coextensive with the image-maker's affection for the
instrument itself.

- -Robert