Subject: Re: Newsgroups & Stuff (Civil and uncivil)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:32:03 +0000

Brian Levy wrote:

>The LUG has produced the least amount of civility of the different
>format groups I am a member of, which is contrary to which I would
>have expected given the level of education, maturity and other
>factors. BUT, even that has its place. In reading Oddman's discourse
>for instance, it first offended my sensibilities, then I considered
>it irrelavent to photography issues, but in going to library and
>looking at some of the masters (not necessarily Leica), realized what
>the man was trying to say. I look at the medium slightly differently
>than I have in the past 30 odd years. Will it affect my work.
>Possibly.
>Brian Levy, J.D.
>Scarborough Ont.

I think, Brian, you've confused lack of civility with robust debate.
Personally I find (and have said so several times) that LUG is one of the
most civilised groups on the Net. To paraphrase Dr. Johnson, I may not
agree with everything that's said in this forum, but I'd defend to the
death the contributor's right to say it. Providing, of course, it's on
topic. If Oddman(mund?) wanted to indulge in sociological and political
diatribes, he was perfectly welcome to do so - but not in a forum devoted
to Leicas.

The great thing about LUG for me is that I'm always learning something new
and interesting. Quite frequently this emerges from quite impassioned
argument. And providing it doesn't get personal, the more diametrically
opposed viewpoints we have expressed within the group, the better.

As you will have noted, my view is diametrically opposed to yours...;-?

Best wishes

Slan

Alex Hurst

Alex Hurst