Subject: Re: Newsgroups & Stuff
From: "Brian Levy" <dlevy@ns2.worldy.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 14:21:45 +0000

> Hi All! The Leica creates a kind of passion that no other camera does.
> Sure the MF guys may have 'civil' discussions but how can you get excited
> over a Speed Graphic?

While admittedly, the Leica creates a certain level of discussion, so
does almost every other brand. I've experienced as much of what your
term 'passion' with Voightlander, Contax, Bronica and other brands
I've owned. If you want PASSION, put a couple of Minox submini owners
in the same room with some reference material an few Minox pieces and
maybe a development tank and slitter. Now that's passion.

From your remark that you are not a MF user, since the Speed Graphic
is not a MF camera but LF. Graphic users tend to use them for their
intended purpose - photography and therein is their passion and
misdirect and distort the invention's purpose. For them the image is
what it is about, not the device.  Their civility is based upon
mutual respect and the understanding that to commit to LF most are
more advanced or discerning than most 35mm photographers. When detail
counts - LF beats all.

The LUG has produced the least amount of civility of the different
format groups I am a member of, which is contrary to which I would
have expected given the level of education, maturity and other
factors. BUT, even that has its place. In reading Oddman's discourse
for instance, it first offended my sensibilities, then I considered
it irrelavent to photography issues, but in going to library and
looking at some of the masters (not necessarily Leica), realized what
the man was trying to say. I look at the medium slightly differently
than I have in the past 30 odd years. Will it affect my work.
Possibly.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Scarborough Ont.