Subject: re: should I keep Leica
From: "Brian Levy" <dlevy@ns2.worldy.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 10:23:24 +0000

Collen,

It sounds as if you are going through a stage of attempted self
masocism. You can not objectively evaluate and make a decison
regarding your retaining ownership of the equipment. It is far more
subjective.

If you bought the Leica as a collector, keep it. Used Leica equip.
generally has exceeded inflation rates over a long period. An
exception to this may be the M6 and R series.

If you bought the system to use and because of the quality of the
optics, and advantages of the bodies, have your equipment criteria
changed making the Leica technically obsolete? If yes, and you have a
system (or found one which you need the $ to buy), then why keep the
Leica? If on the otherhand, if our original criteria for owning the
Leica has not changed; since there is really system offering its
design (in current production), how would you replace it?

Addmittedly, an SLR has advantages in the two areas you pointed out,
but what % of your work involves them and what works better the other
times. I think many here have both types of systems and for each can
'justify' them.

Also, I think more than a few have sold, traded or upgraded their
systems some time more out of equipment fever than need, only some
time later to go back and reacquire the original model. To a small
degree, you post seems to leave me with a feeling that maybe you have
been inflicted with this. I for one, when inflicted, surrender my
available spendable assets to my wife for very safe keeping, secure
my equipment, disable my transportation and go into seclusion
(especially from camera mags and stores). Slowly, I take the equip I
thought could be replaced out, stroke it, play with it, fondle it and
look at its photographic results. It is like a vaccine. Within a few
days the disease passes.
Brian Levy, J.D.
Scarborough Ont.