Subject: Re: Pin Heads (Holes)
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 14:09:28 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Michael Reichmann wrote:

> >Pardon me for sounding uninformed but why on earth would anyone want to put
> >a pinhole adapter in a camera as fine (and expensive) as a Leica?
> >Might as well hang a Miranda or Zeiss lens on the thing.
>
> Among other attributes, a pin hole image has infinite depth of field.
> More to the point, they can be enjoyable to make and have a distintive
> "look".
>
> It sounds like you may have had a traumatic experience in your youth
> with a Miranda.  Sorry for you.

> Michael H. Reichmann
> E-mail:	michael.reichmann@alphanet.net

Pin hole lenses always had an artistic reason, but more than that--they
have a commercial purpose. They are used when the result must not
have any distortion of lines. The pinhole lens is the perfect lens for
produceing no such distortion. This is good for measurement purposes.
I happen to have a very old commercial pinhole lens (a turret of
four lenses) produced in England at the turn of the 20th Century.