Subject: Re: should I keep the Leica?
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 14:23:32 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, C. Fitzgerald wrote:

> This was a tongue-in-cheek suggestion, wasn't it? --Colleen
>
> >It was once suggested to E. Leitz GMbH that they produce special
> >Leica cameras for collectors. Since the boxes with Leicas inside would
> >be worth much more SEALED than if opened, the Leicas would just be
> >shells without any working parts inside. To prove the cameras were
> >in the box, it was proposed that an x-ray photo of the interior be
> >handed to the purchaser. This would be a profit center. The question
> >is: Have they begun to produce this camera? And if not, do you think
> >they will in the furture? Ed Meyers

It does look like tongue-in-cheek, however, the person who
suggested it to Leitz (a former Leitz worker) was serious.
Actually, I left out the part where he also suggested that they
make a solid gold camera.  It might be cheaper than making
a real camera with a gold case, for collectors.
Now I don't agree totally with him, but it certainly makes
you think about it. Cameras are for making photographs.
The Leica and the Rolleiflex revolutionized photojournalism
and photography in general, by being excellent picture-making
machines, and they are still excellent picture-making
machines--even my 1934 Leica III and my 1936 Rolleiflex. Ed Meyers