Subject: Re: IIIa Frame Alignment on Film
From: Roy Zartarian <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 18:45:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Jack Campin wrote:

> Are you sure this is really fixable?  I've had the same problem with every
> single image I've shot on mine.  I can't believe I've misloaded every roll
> of film I've run through it; I just assumed the camera was made that way.

As fate would have it, I just picked vol 29 no. 2 (second quarter 1996) of
the LHSA "Viewfinder" for a quick read. The issue carried a short article
on this matter of non-centered negatives in the screwmount bodies. Cited
is a notice in the winter 1952 "Leica Photography" which points to
variations in film cassette size as the cause of the problem. Leitz New
York at the time offered a modification to the baseplate to remedy the
situation.

Rather than clean the kitchen which is what I'm supposed to be doing, I
decided to conduct a quick test with some scrap film, a IIIa (lens
removed), the Leitz FILCA cassette, and a current Kodak reloadable
cassette.  A visual comparison shows the Leitz cassette to be a tad longer
than the Kodak. Film from the Kodak cassette was checked visually for
correct alignment after loading. After about five frames were advanced,
the perforations were beginning to appear at the top of the film gate.
These perfs would appear at the bottom of the positive image. The film was
realigned and again advanced five frames. The perfs started to show. On
the other hand, the FILCA constructed for the dimensions of the Leica
body, when put through the same exercise, maintained full alignment for
the entire roll.

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA | and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart