Subject: Re: IIIa Frame Alignment on Film
From: Roy Zartarian <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:23:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Benjamin Marks wrote:

> Do you think that adding a 1.5-2mm shim on the top of a standard cassete
> (say something the thickness of a paperclip) would solved the problem?
> I'm sure one could modify a standard cassette easily enough...

Since the problem appears to be that the film is too low in the film gate,
the shim would have to be added at the bottom of the cassette. The
cassette itself is supported on the baseplate only by the spool extension
at the bottom, so something along the lines of a nylon washer of
appropriate dimension would need to be added there. Or perhaps the
technicians on this list have developed a modification to the baseplate
itself to accomodate modern film cassettes.

I am also now wondering whether fatigue in the springs behind the pressure
plate (we're talking about 50 plus year old cameras here) may be a
factor in the negative misalignment.

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart