To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Contax
From: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 96 23:23 BST-1
Cc: dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk

> I live in Boulder CO where we have a Dealer called Mike's Camera. The
> Contax
> rep was on hand Sunday and offered me the use of a new Contax
> rangefinder
> and lens. I was intrigued and am taking him up on it. My impresions so
> far
> is that the thing is TOTALLY reliant on electronics. The viewfinder is
> full
> of information and every time I press a button or turn a knob the beast
> hums
> and vibrates. It's obviously a technological feat of sorts, but... I
> just
> don't like it. The controls aren't natural (for me) and I'm weary of
> such an
> electricity dependent system. The rep asked me if I was a professional
> and I
> told him I was. He asked me what I use and I told him (he sneered). He
> made
> a remark about Contax being in the twentieth century.  My cameras sure
> aren't as shiny and smooth, but I'll stay where I am.

Leica may not be "in the twentieth century", but at least their
rangefinders *work*, which is more than can be said for the G1...

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  "The loss of an old man
(+44) 181 450 5459               |  is like the destruction
Flat 3, 11 Kingscroft Road,      |  of a library"
Kilburn, London NW2 3QE          |