To: "leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us" <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Contax
From: "Craig W. Shier" <shier@mnsinc.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 21:31:15 -0400
Encoding: 24 TEXT

Sometimes we forget that, on the time-scale of humanity, the Leica is a
very modern piece of gear.  While not an electronic wonder, the precision
and reliability of the Leica has only been available in the 20th century.
 In fact, photography is only twice as old as the Leica.  The irony is that
it takes 20th century technology to bring us a device which allows us to
escape the quartz-clock for 1/15 of a second and a flick of the wrist.

<snip>
> and I
> told him I was. He asked me what I use and I told him (he sneered). He
> made
> a remark about Contax being in the twentieth century.  My cameras sure
> aren't as shiny and smooth, but I'll stay where I am.

Leica may not be "in the twentieth century", but at least their
rangefinders *work*, which is more than can be said for the G1...

dmorton@cix.compulink.co.uk      |
david@cassandra.compulink.co.uk  |  "The loss of an old man
(+44) 181 450 5459               |  is like the destruction
Flat 3, 11 Kingscroft Road,      |  of a library"
Kilburn, London NW2 3QE          |